The Agency has a six-fold mandate:
- Direct, coordinate and integrate national intelligence activities;
- Take the lead as intelligence collector of the national government, focusing on the country's strategic intelligence (IS) requirements;
- Prepare intelligence estimate on local and foreign situation for the formulation of national security policies by the President and the National Security Council;
- Serve as the focal point for the government's counterintelligence activities and operation;
- Act as Secretariat to the Anti-Terrorism Council; and,
- Serve as head of the NTF-ELCAC's SAKM Cluster.